Always on February 14th
About the Holiday
Valentine's Day is one of the top five gift giving holidays in the United States and is the second most popular holiday for sending greeting cards. Valentine's Day is most commonly viewed as a romantic holiday celebrated between lovers, though, it is also commonly celebrated by school children and sometimes between close friends. Valentine cards, chocolates, jewelry and flowers are common Valentine's Gifts.
This holiday's strong association with celebrating romantic relationships has spawned a number of backlash celebrations by those not in relationships, or what are sometimes referred to as Anti-Valentine's Day celebrations, listed below...
- Dump Your Significant Jerk Day
- Satisfied Staying Single Day
- Madly in Love with Me Day
- National Call in Single Day
- Quirkyalone Day
- Singles Awareness Day
- St. Skeletor's Day
Did you know?
- 85% of Valentine's Day cards are bought by women
- 73% of Valentine's Day flowers are bought by men
- Valentine's Day is celebrated by 61.8% of consumers
- Candy is the most popular gift, given 47.5% of the time
- 53% of women say they would end their relationship if they don't get something on Valentine's Day (hint)
- The first mass produced Valentine card were sold in the 1840s
- Statistic Brain: Hallmark Card Statistics
- Statistic Brain: Valentine's Day Statistics
- USA.gov American Holidays
February Info & More Holidays