A Gift for Valentine's Day
Choosing a Valentine’s Day gift can be stressful - not only do you have to decide on a gift, you also have to be aware of what message your gift sends to your recipient. In this way, Valentine’s Day is different from other holidays. The problem arises because, for many, Valentine's Day is the ultimate day to celebrate love and romance, while to others, it's not a big deal.
"How do I choose the right gift for Valentine’s Day?" Before you decide on a gift, especially if you are choosing between a naughty or a nice gift, there are two things you should consider:
- Your relationship. What stage is your relationship in? Have you just met, dating for awhile but still getting to know each other, or are you in a long term relationship, married, or perhaps a secret admirer?
- Your message to them. What statement you want to make with your choice of gift. Do you want to leave them speechless? Say you are sorry? Do you want to drive them wild? Or do you just want to say, “I'm thinking of you”?
Once you have answered these questions, you are ready to shop.
Valentine's Day Shopping Tips for the Men
Guys, beware! Show that you put some thought into your choice of gift. This can make or break a relationship. Your significant other will be looking for a clue as to the message you are sending through your gift. Think romance! To most ladies, Valentine's Day is the day their man acknowledges his affection/love (depending on the stage of your relationship) for her. If this doesn't happen, she could be greatly disappointed.
Valentine's Day Shopping Tips for the Ladies
- Think like a man! Many men do not really want a gift, what they want is you! If your man fits into this category, you can have a lot of fun with Valentine’s Day. You might consider giving him a teaser gift (if appropriate for your relationship), like lingerie – not for him, but for you to wear for him.
- Does your guy have a great sense of humor? Humorous gifts go over well with the guys. There are many humorous and fun gifts available online for Valentine’s Day – from Valentine’s Day toilet paper that says, “I love you from top to bottom!”, to innocent looking teddy bears that talk naughty. These gifts can spice up your Valentine's Day celebration.
- If your man is hard to buy for, you may choose to get him something you know he wants – whether it is that ½ inch drill or those golf clubs he has had his eyes on. Whatever the gift, just be sure to add a little something to it – perhaps a love note or handmade romantic coupons tied to the clubs, or for the handyman, roses made out of duct tape to accompany the drill. Use your imagination to relate the gift to Valentine's Day.
Choose Gifts Appropriate to Your Relationship
For the New Relationship: You're interested in them, but don't want to be presumptuous. What to do? Consider dropping a hint. Asking what he/she would like for Valentine's Day is a subtle way to let them know that you will be getting something for them. For this relationship, the gifts should be light-hearted – not too sappy as to scare them away. A Cookie Bouquet delivered, a Giant Fortune Cookie with your personalized message inside, dinner & a movie or a DVD are good choices.
For the Long-term Relationship: For this relationship, you have more choices - romantic, sexy and humorous gifts can all be choices. You can afford to have a little fun with this relationship to get your point across. For the more risque gifts, choices include romantic games, chocolate body paint, and lover's coupons. You might even go so far as to learn the art of exotic dancing to please your partner. And for the more traditional, jewelry is always welcomed. If you can't afford rubies, garnets show your love in red splendor and are very affordable.
For the Spouse: Valentine's Day is a real test of how much you want to keep romance alive in your relationship. So be sure to acknowledge one another lest one of you is disappointed. Choose a gift to help rekindle the passion in your relationship such as a trip for the two of you. Can't travel? Then just do something together – an experience gift such as a couples massage, a wine tasting or even sky diving for the more adventurous. And, most important, no kids allowed!
For the Secret Admirer: Valentine's Day is the perfect opportunity to woo the object of your affections by sending anonymous gifts in hopes of a real relationship. Be careful with your choice of gift as not to create fear – you don't want to end up with a restraining order! Keep the sentiments light. And, if you are sending an anonymous gift to someone's office, make it "super-sized" – a bouquet of balloons, a large teddy bear or long stem roses. Remember, with a gift sent to the office, you're not only making a statement to your recipient, but also potentially impressing her/his colleagues – which can score you some points!
Alternative Greeting Cards
No longer do you have to "say it with a card!" Greeting cards remain popular as a way to express sentiments to loved ones. However, there are gifts that serve as alternatives to greeting cards. Cookies can be personalized or actually used to spell out a message for your loved one. Everyday products like soap can be personalized with a message and photo for your recipient. When a greeting card is not enough, gifts like these will be remembered.
Remember, for Valentine's Day, the best present of all is you! As long as the gift you send has meaning, it will be cherished. Valentine’s Day can be anything you want it to be - from romantic to fun. So show a little creativity in your gift-giving and enjoy your special day!
- History of Valentine's Day
- Gifts for Your Guy
- What Not to Buy Your Girlfriend
- Gifty Tips for Guys
- Love, Romance and Passion Gemstone
- Diamonds are Forever